To mark the 50th anniversary of the New Jersey Historical Commission (NJHC) and emphasize the significant work of history organizations and programs across the state, we asked our FY2017 and FY2018 grant recipients to submit a short narrative and photos describing the impact of NJHC funding. Each week until the end of our fiscal year in June, we will post a spotlight featuring the responses of our grant recipients. Whether NJHC support contributed to general operating, a brand new exhibit, an engaging education program or the restoration of a historic object, it’s truly amazing to see what New Jersey history organizations, libraries, and individuals have to offer.
This week we spotlight the Morris County Historical Society!
Morris County Historical Society (MCHS) received a 2018 Project Grant award for the restoration and digitization of its 1853 ‘Map of Morris County, N.J. from Original Surveys of Lightfoot and Geil.’ This map, the first of its kind for Morris County, represented such a critical resource to studying local history that MCHS wished to have it readily accessible and available for reference. The prior condition of the map, however, could not support such use. The grant award made it possible for the MCHS to use the strengths and skills of the Northeast Document Conservation Center, one of the most highly regarded conservators in the country, to restore and conserve the original map, while having a full-size digital copy created for permanent display and a digital file available for further benefit. While the original map will be placed in collections storage, the copy will be framed and mounted next to a similarly styled 1861 ‘Farm Map of Morris Township.’ The juxtaposition of these two resources will have an immediate and profound effect on MCHS efforts to promote and educate about local history.
For questions about NJHC Grantee Spotlights, please contact Greer Luce, Communications Officer, at 609-633-0776 or email@example.com.
The New Jersey Historical Commission (NJHC) is a state agency dedicated to the advancement of public knowledge and preservation of New Jersey history. Established by law in 1967, its work is founded on the fundamental belief that an understanding of our shared heritage is essential to sustaining a cohesive and robust democracy.