New Jersey Historical Commission (NJHC) Grantee Spotlight: Monmouth County Historical Association

MCHA Spotlight 2

To mark the 50th anniversary of the New Jersey Historical Commission (NJHC) and emphasize the significant work of history organizations and programs across the state, we asked our FY2017 and FY2018 grant recipients to submit a short narrative and photos describing the impact of NJHC funding. Each week until the end of our fiscal year in June, we will post a spotlight featuring the responses of our grant recipients. Whether NJHC support contributed to general operating, a brand new exhibit, an engaging education program or the restoration of a historic object, it’s truly amazing to see what New Jersey history organizations, libraries, and individuals have to offer.

This week we spotlight the Monmouth County Historical Association (MCHA), with a description of the organization’s extensive collections digitization process:

Of the 500+ pieces of furniture in MCHA’s holdings, 125 will be selected for digitization followed by our extensive NJ Pottery collection. The project will begin with a four-day survey of the collection by Joseph W. Hammond and Philip D. Zimmerman, who is one of the leading American furniture historians today. This will be followed by photography and entry in TMS/eMuseum. This project continues the great work that the NJHC helped start and will provide the public with an ability to appreciate the full breadth and scope of our collections of decorative arts, fine art, and material culture, which is among the very largest and most diverse of any New Jersey museum or cultural institution.

Check out MCHA’s eMuseum site today: http://monmouthhistory.emuseum.com/collections.

Pic 1

CAPTION: “Slat Back Arm Chair.” ca. 1775 – 1810. Maple, ash or oak, with rush seat. Owned by Elizabeth “Betty” Dorn. Gift of Amelia Vredenburgh Knight.

Pic 2

CAPTION: “Sarah (Sally) Hendrickson Holmes.” Work by Micah Williams. ca. 1820. Pastel on paper. Gift of Joseph H. Homes and Katherine Holmes Coe.

Pic 3

CAPTION: “Senator Hendrickson’s Farm.” Work by Henry Thomas Gulick. ca. 1954. Oil on masonite. Gift of Mrs. William D. Matthews.

For questions about NJHC Grantee Spotlights, please contact Greer Luce, Communications Officer, at 609-633-0776 or greer.luce@sos.nj.gov.

pms-2016-historical-commission-logo

About the New Jersey Historical Commission

The New Jersey Historical Commission (NJHC) is a state agency dedicated to the advancement of public knowledge and preservation of New Jersey history. Established by law in 1967, its work is founded on the fundamental belief that an understanding of our shared heritage is essential to sustaining a cohesive and robust democracy.

History.NJ.gov

Facebook

Twitter

###